Tuesday 19 November 2013

Red Label Heartache

So far this month has been littered with Red Label near misses and considering one of my goals this month was to ship a Red Label, whether it be a Big/Hot/Omania etc, it's been quite infuriating that I've gotten so close recently.

I started the month with a final table in the $5 Omania. The PLO Omania's are slightly different to the Big/Hot tournaments in the sense that you don't have to win 30 flips in a row to make it deep, you can actually slowly grind up your stack. Where you do need to gamble though is shoving AAxx preflop, especially in the $5 Omania as the skill level can be so low that you regularly have to flip against KKxx, QQxx or random assorted rundowns. Also due to the Pot Limit structure, the final tables actually play very shallow so although I came into it as 3/9, I lost one decent sized pot and was automatically a short stack. I managed to ladder up a few spots but could only manage 5th. My stable have managed quite a few deep runs in the tournament but so far our best result has been a 2nd. We'll get there one day.



Then last week I made a deep run in the Hot 16.50. As with most turbos I ran pretty hot for most of the tournament but I just couldn't keep it going til the end. I ended up 15th after A5s < Q9o SB vs BTN after flopping a FD against his no pair so it was pretty soul crushing to watch him make a runner runner straight. Normally coming so close in a Red Label is depressing enough but when you're grinding pretty much full time, the $8k up top could really help things.

Now here comes the real heart breaker. I went deep in the MicroMillions special Sunday Storm this past weekend, and not just kind of deep, I mean super super deep. Out of 50,000 entrants I finished 46th. Truly soul destroying. Obviously I run hotter than the sun, including JJ > QQ soon after the bubble and getting two folds after shoving 3BB from the BTN with 24o. The $500 for cashing that deep turned what was actually a pretty awful Sunday into a winning session but again, seeing the $36,000 first prize only 45 players away and after outlasting almost 50,000 other entrants really hurt.



The month is not over however, I still have close to 2 weeks to win one and with all these deep runs and numerous other decent cashes over the course of the month, I wouldn't bet against myself to win one. In addition to the Red Labels, the MicroMillions is only halfway done so I'll still have a ton of shots to win a big name tournament, in fact the PLO8 event is today and that seems like my best chance to ship one of these. If I go deep I'll be sure to update my Twitter (@Grimiscool) and there will definitely be a brag post on here! Good luck at the tables everybody and speak to you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment