Thursday 19 December 2013

The Volume Question

It's an age old paradox among the grinders, "What is the right amount of volume?". Every player out there who's ever taken poker seriously or even considered playing the game for a living has at one point believed that the best way to increase the amount of money their making is to play more poker. After all, surely if a player is beating the games they're playing, then playing more should directly lead to more profits. But we all know that's not the case.

I've always spent a lot of time thinking about how much I should really be playing poker. It's not always been purely from the stand point of trying to increase my winnings, I've also considered about how I should play less to accommodate a more balanced life, i.e. spending a bit more time with the girlfriend or maybe taking the odd weekend off to chill out with friends. Especially after finishing university for good, I then had so much free time in which to play poker than I felt the need to organise when I was going to play as it now became feasible that I could play every day of the week. Luckily for me I'd been in similar positions before where I'd had nothing to do bar play poker and I'd learnt that playing all day, every day for a sustained period of time definitely didn't lead to a fat wallet.



Let's take a look at my "schedule" right now. I normally know well in advance whether I'm going to play on any given day. I'll usually know what days I  have to go to work, or if I've organised with friends to go out etc, so if I know I'm playing poker on a day, I'm immediately in that mindset. Some of the worst days I have are when I've suddenly had a bit of time free and I jump straight into the games. I'm not prepared and not focused so surely enough the results reflect that. If I do play, I register from 3-4pm up until 9pm, the last being the $22 NLO, then play out. That should encompass around 20 scheduled MTTs plus however many 180s I load up depending on how many tables I have up. Even this isn't an exact science yet, I'm still undecided on how many 180s I should have going at any one time because my play style in them requires a bit more work than simply clicking buttons.

I'm comfortable with this schedule and rarely feel overwhelmed by the amount of tables I have going, if I ever do, it's a good sign that I'm not busting tournaments and I'm having a good day so far. Sometimes I get to the end of a days grinding and I think, especially when it's gone well, that I should continue playing and keep going so that I can put up a huge winning day. But it doesn't work like that. Without a doubt, if you were to pull up a record of all the tournaments I'd played after a session should have finished, I would be down tons. When you I set up my schedule and stick it, I am completely focused on the task at hand. I know what tournaments I'm playing, what I' m registered in and vaguely when I'm going to finish. After the window closes, all train of decent thought goes out the window and I'm doomed to lose. It took me a while to learn this important lesson but it's definitely been worth it, I no longer throw away money unnecessarily. It's always best after a session to draw a line under what you've accomplished for the day, good or bad, and start again tomorrow.



Always interested on what you guys have to say on the topic so feel free to leave a comment on the post. I've tinkered around with the page layout to make it easier for you guys to follow the blog. You can follow using your Google account which most of you should have if you made a Gmail or Google+ account, I think Youtube accounts are linked too. You can also sign up for Email updates which prompts you when I upload a new post. But until next time, take it easy everyone and good luck at the tables!

No comments:

Post a Comment