Friday 7 March 2014

Note Taking

So as my break even February turns into a down swinging March, I took a little step back yesterday to go over some of my play and have a look at some areas of the game at which I need to work upon. While I poured over my HEM database and went over a through hand history reviews, a fellow grinder made it to a decent Final Table so I jumped on the rail for support and, as there is with most low-stakes Mixed Game MTT tables, he was sat next to a reg. I knew the reg well from both PLO and PLO8 and had around a 2k hand sample on him. I had him tagged up as a reg, and a winning reg at that but I didn't have a single note on him. How can that be right, how can I have played over two thousand hands with one player and not picked up a single read on him other than the fact he was a decent player. So thus I've decided that my note taking skills need to be worked on.



Now this isn't the first time I've though about how to improve my note taking. During Andre Coimbra's $100k bankroll challenge last year I watched a ton of his videos on his Youtube channel and I noticed that even in low-stakes MTTs that he wasn't likely to play regularly ever again, his note taking was very detailed. Whenever he was down to a few tables, say two to three, he could pretty much manage to make a note on every player left at his tables.

Now while I didn't agree with some aspects of his note taking, such as merely reporting hands that said player was involved in rather than gleaming reads regarding his range over a sample of similar hands, I did really the way he was noting every hand of interest, regardless of whether he was in it or not, as well as he noting of bet sizing and position. I started incorporating some of these note taking skills into my game but I feel I've become somewhat lazy recently and started to rely more on my HUD for reads than actually watching hands. The HUD is great for generally tagging up what kind of player I'm up against but the specific reads you learn through actually paying attention are where the money is made.



I'm going to be working on this a lot in the near future and I'll let you guys know what kind of effect it has on my play and on my results. Feel free to leave a comment below on how you take notes and maybe what steps you're taking to work on your notes. For now, good luck at the tables and I'll speak to you all soon!

4 comments:

  1. I exploit solely premium quality products -- you will observe these individuals on: 메이저사이트

    ReplyDelete
  2. 더원홀덤
    We will do our best to verify and inform you so that you can enjoy online hold'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work! เว็บบอลนอก

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use only high quality materials - you can see them at: 온라인홀덤

    ReplyDelete