Monday 10 January 2011

Small update

It’s been a pretty rotten start to the year as far as cash games are concerned. I’m having my worst month ever and I literally had only played for around 4 days. Those few days though were enough to get me stuck close to $800. If I were to take any positives out of those monstrous losses, it would be that I managed to put in well over 6000 hands, which at least shows that I have the ability to grind hard should I need to. For the time being, however, I do not think it is a good decision to keep on playing, as I would definitely destroy my bankroll. Sometimes you have to make the smart decision and take a step back, even if it makes my Supernova grind a hell of a lot more difficult.

But, being the degen that I am, I couldn’t step away from poker all together. I decided to put in some time on my NLHE Sng game. I am still staked for these, and receiving free coaching from one of the best 180 turbo grinders out there, not sure if it’s my place to put his name out there but if any of the turbo grinders are reading it, they can probably guess who it is. He had put a lot of faith in me, even though I had not put in anywhere near enough volume, and had already taken a reload off him. Thankfully, the time off from O8 had renewed my interest in NLHE and it’s been a pretty profitable few days. Although I’m still not able to put in the same amount of volume as the other grinders in the stable, I still managed to hit around 150 Sngs for the week, and made a not too shabby profit of $300 which keeps me solidly out of makeup and around halfway to my goal of attaining a bankroll large enough to take a shot at the 12s. The upshot of this is that it makes the time I take away from O8 cash not too detrimental to my Supernova chase. At 5VPPs per Sng at the 12s. I could still knock out around 1000 VPPs per week which doesn’t quite get me to Supernova, but means that I earn a half decent rate away from cash games.

The 2s have been super soft recently. I don’t claim to be a Sng superstar, but I can definitely see a skill edge forming over the field, which honestly given the training provided to me should be apparent by now. My goal by the end of the month is to finish with the 2s and take my first 12s shot. I will start playing O8 cash again, but sparingly and perhaps take a step back from my usual volume. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had moved down from PL50 to PL25 because of the hit my BR took, and I’m going to stay there until I can prove to myself that I am a winner at the level. The more I look back at those hectic few days, the more I feel I tilted unnecessarily, and lost way more money than I can put down to variance. It’s a weakness I thought I didn’t have but as my database is quite clearly telling me, it does exist. Right now I am reading articles on how to deal with tilt and speaking with other players who experienced the same thing.

That’s all for now folks, I’ll be writing another post tomorrow. See y’all at the tables!

No comments:

Post a Comment