Sunday 7 November 2010

Back for a bit of cash grind

Sorry for getting a bit lazy about updating this blog. It’s been a really busy few weeks, and finding a few spare moments to just write down my thoughts have been few and far between. So, seeming as it’s been a while, I feel I should give you a bit of an update.

The NLHE SnG grinding had been going along nicely, but unfortunately I hit a bit of a rough patch and busted my stake. Now, literally, there is no worse feeling than having to face up to your backer and admit that you just lost all his money. Even though I had been running on fumes for about a week prior, I was still optimistic that I could turn it all around. After all, only 2 weeks previously I had almost doubled my money, so it was definitely within my capability to do it. Luckily for me, this feeling was mirrored by my backer and he very generously reloaded me, which again I thank him for. Rather than jump straight back into haemorrhaging money, I thought it better to take a step back, review my game and more importantly, just take a break from push/fold poker. I would get into my thoughts on the subject, but let’s leave that for another post, don’t want this one to be a bit tl;dr.

Being the degenerate gambler that I am, I couldn’t just withdraw from poker altogether, after all that would give me far too much time than I care to have, so I thought why not go back to my passion, PLO8 cash games. Once again, I thought better of just jumping into games which I was quite clearly losing money at, it would be a fools move. So I started doing some research on my HEM database as to what I was making money at, and the results were quite baffling. Overall I had been a small loser at PL25, which was quite shocking in itself considering that I was above $400 in profit at the game at one point, and a big winner at PL10. Obviously the change in skill level would account for a chunk of that difference in performance, but surely it could not be responsible for t he whole problem. And then it dawned on me, when I was playing the PL10 cash games, it was back in the days of regular 100BB buyins, rather than the crazy 50BB games that were running these days. So I filtered my database for games in which I only played with 100BB stacks or greater, and the results were unbelievable.

In effect that report told me that I was losing over 20 buyins at the 50BB games! If I had picked up on this sooner I could have saved myself a lot of heartache, let alone a boat load of cash. It was clearly obvious that I should exclude myself from these games straight away, but that brought up a different problem, I was nowhere near rolled for deep stacked PL25 games, but, I was nicely rolled for PL10 deep, so why not give that a try. Now I cannot say in any certain terms what a goldmine these games are!! I’m still playing for $25 stacks, just with a lot more play, so in effect I’m risking the same amount of money but with more of a chance to use my skill advantage to outplay what were, in almost all cases, significantly worse players. WHY HADN’T I WORKED THIS OUT SOONER!!!!

So I think, I’ll be playing these games for a bit, then graduating to PL25 when the roll gets deep enough, but still with one eye on reviewing my NLHE SnG game so I can get back to crushing those. Actually, let’s go do that now J Til next time, adios!!

No comments:

Post a Comment