Sunday 20 April 2014

$100k Badge on PocketFives and the road to $250k!

Very much like it says on the tin, this weekend I hit the milestone of $100,000 in prizes cashed for as tracked by PocketFives.



In actuality, I've cashed for a lot more than this, in fact OPR has my total winnings on PokerStars alone at around $140k, but it's still a nice accolade to have. PocketFives is one of the premier ranking sites for online MTTs and many people in the poker industry use the site to characterize players and search for information so having this badge by your profile can really solidify your place as a skilled and respected player.

The journey to $100k cashes hasn't exactly been linear. For the first half of my poker career I barely played tournaments, and it was until around 2011 that I started notching up the cashes. At that time I was lucky enough to be picked up by a Turbo 180 stable run by brad2002tj called Team LAGtard. It was here that I learnt most of what I know about tournament poker including the fundamentals of aggression and pot odds. I can honestly say without Brad and the team I wouldn't be at this point today where I can make a living off this game so for that I thank them.

After that I broke into small stakes MTTs and that's where I've been for the past two years where I imagine the majority of my cashes have come from. With small stakes MTTs, it's pretty simple to steadily accrue a large number of cashes thanks to the great volume you can achieve, even if you just stick to PokerStars.

Moving forward on the road to $250k, I expect to move up in stakes and get there much quicker than I did $100k but I'll never rack up the big time cashes like the NLHE sickos do, even though it would be nice. I'll stick to what I know which is grinding out the profits slowly playing my games, hopefully with the odd turbo here and there. I'd like to give you guys a time estimate of when I think I'd making it but honestly I'd just be throwing out numbers. I think by the end of the year would be very optimistic but not all together impossible. If I'm still playing pro by this time next year though, I'd expect to have hit it. If there's a site out there, or even an option on SharkScope that can show a graph of cumulative cashes over time please let me know in the comments because that would be pretty darn interesting to have a look at.



Even though I'm now more profitable than ever thanks to the switch from primarily NLHE to where I am now where the majority of my volume is in PLO8 and PLO, the payouts are normally much less because of the drastically reduced field sizes meaning that I may be accumulating cashes at a slower rate. In the end though this game is all about the bottom line, so even though having the accolade of a huge amount of prizes won is nice to have, I'd still rather take the larger profit margin. I feel very blessed that I can subside on the money I make playing a game I love so it would be wrong to bemoan the fact that I don't make more. It could be worse, I could be grinding 50 hours a week at MaccyDs (Yes, the term "grind" is necessary).

Anyway, I'll leave it here for now. I have a few ideas for more posts coming, and people seemed to react well to the "Top ___" lists that I've made in the past so I'll be putting out so more of those. Tomorrow I'm back off to the South Coast to visit my family which normally leaves me a bit of time to knock out some writing so hopefully there should be so nice content to read soon. Good luck to all you grinders over the weekend and special wishes to all the UK players taking part in the WCOAP at Stratford. Speak to you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment