Thursday 2 January 2014

2013 - Year in Review!

Well what a year it's been! Honestly I can't believe how fast it's gone by, it only feels like yesterday that I was sat in my old flat frantically studying for the exam that I was about to have on January 6th and counting the seconds until I could get back to a serious grind. 2013 started pretty much as abysmally as it possibly could have been since then things have mainly gone well as far as general life has been concerned, but poker-wise I've gone from strength to strength and thankfully the year was my most profitable yet!

So this time last year I was pretty miserable. My apartment had been broken into and my laptop stolen so I wasn't able to play poker. I was just about to taken my first set of exams for a course that I hated and generally things weren't so great. In fact, after looking over an old 2p2 thread about people setting goals for 2013, my old goal was "To get a computer and play poker again". Well, I succeeded!

As far as results have been concerned, I'm pretty happy with the year. I made by far my biggest score in poker, chopping the Hotter 11 in April for $11k, I diversified into more games, most notably becoming a winner in PLO MTTs, and I had my biggest winning year so far, almost $20k profit according to OPR at a solid 50% ROI across at games.



What I'm most happy about is the great improvement to my mental game. In previous years and months I had been very prone to tilt and negative thoughts, so much so that I genuinely believed that I was going to have a losing session even before I'd loaded up a single table, and obviously the prediction would more often than not come true. I went on a pretty long downswing after my Hotter 11 score and there were times that I never thought I'd come out of it, that maybe my Poker career was over. But thankfully, I managed to snap out of it. I started talking to many more grinders and their success and drive encouraged me to refocus and work on my game. I changed the games I was playing, stuck to a solid schedule and cut out a lot of outside distractions while grinding. It paid off so much and I now feel really confident going into 2014.



I'm also excited about expanding into PLO MTTs. Although I love PLO8 MTTs and I'll never stop playing them, the game definitely has a shelf life, and the tournaments will never get to the kind of sizes we see all the time in NLHE. PLO, on the other hand, genuinely has the ability to become as popular and thus getting a head start on the rest of the field and becoming adept at the game is a must. There is a ton of value in the game currently and I know that it's popularity will only increase with time.

The finishing touches are being put on my 2014 goals post and it should be posted very soon. I keep meaning to publish it but almost every day I manage to think of something else I want to add to the list. The January goals post will be out soon too, hopefully I lot earlier than I managed with the December post. It is a bit of a wonder how I managed to turn in every single one of my university assignments on time for 5 years! Until then, I hope 2013 was equally great for all of you and that 2014 brings you everything you hope for! Good luck all!

No comments:

Post a Comment